Mentawai surf camp
THE BILOU monkey -
otherwise known as the Mentawai Gibbon, is a primate living exclusively in the Mentawai Islands.
Did you know: The Bilous are monogamous. Except for Basil . .
1. Do the villas have a kitchen?
Yes, the Mentawai surf camps villas are fully equipped with gas hob and fridge
2. ADD ON BILOU PACKAGE vs PAY AS YOU GO
We have a Mentawai surf camp all inclusive option. Please go to the BOOKING DETAILS page to see all the info. Tau Pejat village is 10 minutes across the channel, fully stocked with fresh food, snacks, soft drinks and beer by the case, an ATM (master and visa) and SIM cards.
A set meal is available in the evenings at the Beach Bar. Bilou Beach guests pay $12.50
We have the small Bilou Deli which stocks items such as olive oil, 100% Arabica ground coffee (all the villas have coffee plungers), ciabatta bread, cheese, mince meat, bacon, canned items (tomato paste, beans etc), honey, herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary etc).
3. Can I draw money?
Yes the main ATM in Tau Pejat accepts VISA and MASTER CARD
4. What is the malaria situation?
The area is low risk, there has not been malaria for many years, but take the usual precautions if you wish.
5. Do the surf camp boats come with a guide/driver?
Yes, but not included with the villa/boat rate. But is included with the all inclusive rate.
If you "pay as you go", the driver/guide is US $25 per day per Villa. Your drivers/guides will be on standby sunrise to sunset
6. How far are you from the waves?
This Mentwai surf camp is 5 min by boat from Backyards, or its a short stroll down the beach. Telescopes is 10 min away by boat. Most of the waves are within a 10-15 min radius.
7. Is there a restaurant? We have the Sunset Bilou Beach Bar which opens during the late afternoon and serves cold beer and a healthy set "meal of the day' - Bilou guests pay
$12.50 for the set evening meal.
8. Are the villas cleaned daily?
Yes, the villas are cleaned every morning.
9. What is the new Mentawai Surf Tax - This tax has been implemented in 2016 @
Rp 1 000 000 per visit per surfer. The Mentawais are made up of a chain of outer islands with remote villages who have benefited very little from the 20 year surf industry.
10. How do we get from Padang Airport to Bilou Beach Villas surf camp? We can arrange your transfers from Padang Airport to Bilou Beach Villas (i.e. you can pre pay for your driver, ferry ticket and Padang hotel).
11. What visa do I need?
Most passports can get a 30 day visa on arrival. Please check with your Indonesian consulate.
12. What to bring to a surf camp?
Valid non expired passport with at least 6 months to go. Travel insurance. Polaroid sunglasses. Sunhat or peak. Lycra top or t-shirt for snorkeling and surfing. Snorkel, mask, fins. Fishing rods/gear for trolling on your boat (rupalas etc). Sunscreen. Mozzie lotion. Camera. Cell phone. Light cotton clothing - long sleeve shirt and long pants. We supply sarongs on your bath rails. Bring your own towel. The resort is 100% off the grid. The no 1 contributing factor to contaminating this small islands well water and mangrove is soapy water and towels. Towels take up loads of water, soap and power.
Comprehensive Medical Kit: antiseptic creams, plasters, antihistamine, pain killers, antibiotics for skin (reef cuts) and bladder infection (dehydration), anti-inflammatories.
Bring your regular boards. Waves are mostly in 3-4ft range with odd bigger days when a step up is required. Reef booties is a personal choice item. Bring spare leg rope. Very hard tropical wax only, the water is 30 *C.
Bring Solar cure resin for small ding repairs.
14. Cell signal?
Yes we have great 4G signal at Bilou Beach Villas. Buy a SIMPATI sim card and Rp100 000 ($8) worth of data and you will be set for 2 weeks worth of browsing. Buy your SIM card in Jakarta airport or Padang. SIM cards are available in the Tau Pejat village.
15. How long does the ferry from Padang take?
It takes 3.5 hours, and arrives in Tau Pejat before 10.30am. The Mentawai Fast runs on mon, wed, fri and sun.
16. Liquor: make sure you remember to buy your quota of gin, whisky, vodka, rum at the airport duty free.
17. COPY OF YOUR PASSPORT: whatsapp to +62 812261988903
18. AIG TRAVEL INSURANCE is highly recommended when traveling to any surf camp in the Mentawai Islands.
20. SNACKS guests often bring protein powders, energy bars